Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Updates-LONG post!

This post is SOO long overdue. I have so much to write! This post may turn out long (knowing how I like to go into detail about everything) and it will probably jump from topic to topic randomly.

I went to get Lexi from Rexburg mid December and that was quite the adventure. James went with me so I wouldn't have to drive 5 hours in the snow alone. I'm so glad he went cuz a) I don't know how Lexi and I would have loaded up all her stuff in my car by ourselves and b) because of the conditions that we were in. When we left in the morning, it was snowing and I was driving like the smart driver that I am. I wasn't going to fast and I was paying extra attention so that we would make it ok. It stopped snowing and the roads were great for a while and I was comfortable going almost the speed limit. I went to go around this car and as soon as I got back into the right lane, I lost control. It had gotten icy all of a sudden and in the heat of the moment, I forgot was I was supposed to do when driving on icy roads. My instincts said, "you're sliding to the right and you wanna go left so turn left!" I was dumb and listened and slid to the other side of the road. Then something took over and I went with the slide. We ended up off the road in the snow. We, thankfully, didn't hit anyone and the only thing we did hit was some bushes. We were both ok and the only thing wrong with my car was a dent in the side. A guy in a big truck saw the whole thing, flipped around and asked if we were ok. I had James tell him that we were ok but that help getting out would be nice. The guy got in my car and drove it out for me. Needless to say, even when the roads seemed clear I drove super slow. We got to Rexburg safely, loaded up the car, and took off. Between the 3 of us and all of Lexi's stuff, my car was full. We had icy roads and snow on the way back until about 10 minutes after we crossed the Utah border then it was nothing but rain and completely clear roads.

Next day, I went to get someone from the airport and that was another adventure. Her plane was supposed to get in at 10:30pm and I got there just before that. There were cars parked at the curb so I waited with them but then the security guys made us drive around. I drove around and around so many times then I ended up talking to a security guy who gave me a phone number to page her (she's been in Russia for 4 months and doesn't have a phone). I paged her 3 times and still no sign of her. After trying to pick her up for an hour and a half, I gave up and went home. Mind you, this whole time it had been raining. Not just raining, but hard rain, and with Utah roads, when it's raining hard you can't really see the roads. I made it back safe, but I was about ready to cry just out of frustration. I had even left my sister and the 2 girls that would ride to Cali with me in my apartment. As soon as I pulled into my apartment parking lot, I got a call from a friend who had heard from the girl that I was going to pick up. Her plane didn't get in until about midnight and didn't have her luggage till about 1am. She ended up finding a place to stay and a way back the next morning but I was so done with it all.

The drive home to Cali wasn't bad. It was snowing or raining the entire time but it wasn't too bad. Being home was nice too. I love getting to see my family and spend time with them. Especially cuz I don't get to see them as much as I'd like to. I had to head back to Utah for a roommate's wedding reception a week after going home, but it was really nice while it lasted.

It's 2011! Holy cow! I can't believe how fast this year went. I always have trouble coming up with New Year Resolutions. This year wasn't so hard though. It's mission prep! I don't think I've said anything on here about it yet, but yes, I am going to go on a mission. My goal is to go this summer so I am working on preparing. I have a mission prep institute class, I am taking temple prep for a sunday school class, and I am personally preparing. My personal prep includes:
Sleep schedule (closer to mission schedule)
Daily Scripture Study
Daily journal (or blog, haven't decided which. Maybe both)
This isn't just mission prep though. I want my life to be more centered around Christ. I want to be better and preparing for a mission is a great way to do that. I'm hoping to turn my papers in February or March. I just have to figure out my doctor and dentist appointments.

I moved out of apt 30 into 49. It's very different than what I'm used to. I'm used to lots of noise and being able to talk to anyone. There are 5 girls in this apartment and 4 different languages. This apartments consists of 2 Americans (one of which is very rarely home), one Korean, one Mongolian, and one from Cameroon. I've only been here for a week, but so far it's always quiet. I like work, but I especially look forward to going because I can talk to people and not worry if they can understand me. It's just all new to me. I finally finished unpacking/organizing. I got rid of a bunch of stuff (DI and trash). I used to be (and kinda still am) such a pack rat but I'm getting better. No one was with me this time telling me what I should get rid of. I did it all by myself :)

Well, I think I've caught you up on my life. Yes, it was a long post, but I'm going to post more often again. If you read through the whole thing, props to you! Love ya all!

No comments: